Thursday, August 8, 2013

Sideways Glances, Moray Eels, and a Wanna-Be Mermaid



Silently I slid through the water,  weightless and wide-eyed.  Just a plastic tube allowing me to survive in this underwater world.  Warm tepid water surrounding my body.  My eyes taking in the absolutely majestic scenery below me.  I LOVE this feeling. Sometimes I think I should've been born a mermaid.  Okay, I know that they don't really exists, but just humor this plank-eyed girl.

Have you ever felt like there is sound everywhere but you are not able to hear anything?  Sliding through the deliciously warm Pacific Ocean with my ears underwater, I was aware that all these creatures were communicating in ways that I could not hear (for the most part) or even understand.  I have heard recordings of Killer whales calling to each other so there was some previous knowledge rolling around in my head.  

I was mesmerized by all the stunning colors and living creatures zipping around below me.  For some reason, whenever I am in the water like this, I pretty much only look down.  I had been in this down-ward gazing mode for probably a good 25 minutes when I suddenly became aware that something rather large was right next to me.  I quickly grabbed a side-way glance and realized that within a few inches of my head, there was a rather large turtle swimming next to me.  As I turned my head, our eyes locked.  It did not seem to be surprised or scared of me.  I was the one who was surprised.  We swam together for about four minutes.  I was entranced by the strength and grace of this creature.  Questions peppered my head like bullets hitting a target during target practice.  Where had it come from?  How did it sneak up on me?  Did it choose to come so close because it was curious?  Wow!  I was thankful and grateful for this encounter.  As this magnificent creature pulled away, I knew that I had been given a gift.  

Only a few moments lapsed when suddenly I was taken by a beautiful, five foot, red with white polka-dotted, snake-like creature.  I followed above this amazing creature as it made it's way gracefully along the bottom of the sea floor.   I am not sure just how much time had gone by when I realized that I was probably not being smart or safe. (Turns out, it was a spotted moray eel.  Oopsy!)  These stunning moments will certainly be forever etched in my heart with indelible ink.  

Four days have come and gone since those  magical moments in the Pacific.  Often times I am so focused on what I am doing in my day-to-day journey on this planet that I am unaware that my Creator is right next to me and is waiting for me to turn my head to see His face.  

May you turn your head and see your maker adoring you, His marvelous creation!

Until we chat again,
The Plank-Eyed Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment