Friday, August 30, 2013

Sojourner!




Stepping onto the jet off the volcanic heated tarmac, I could feel the rush of cold air hit my face.  As my feet slid over the thresh hold, I felt something rip from my chest.  In that instant, I knew something inside of me was bleeding.  Now, don't get me wrong, no one around me would've seen it, but I felt it deep inside of my being.  wkwardly I struggled with my backpack down the aisle.  I am not one of those graceful ones who manage to smoothly glide down the aisle and effortlessly pop their "storeables" into the overhead bin.  I am more like a pink polka-dotted elephant bumping and nudging my way to the seat; making apologies for my clumsiness as I go and desperately hoping not to drop anything on the innocent people who are seated on the aisle as I pass by.  Finding 23C, I proceeded to stuff all my earthly possessions (mostly electronics) under the seat in front of me.  Settling in, I closed my eyes.  Instantaneously, a pool of warm salty water collected in the corners of my eyes.  Fighting the ridiculousness of these wild emotions that seemed to be overtaking me, I became aware that there is a warm stream of liquid trickling down my cheeks.  Ugh!!!!  My mind was swirling and bouncing all over, "What in the world is going on!  This is completely ridiculous!  You are going home and will be back here in ten months.  You have two homes!"    As the plane raced down the runway, I was compelled to gaze out the tiny window.  I watched my Island Home disappear from view as we climbed to  the cruising altitude of 35,000 feet and headed north toward the mainland.  I was confused, very confused!   I was not sure why my heart was bleeding so profusely.   I should be delighted to be heading to my mainland home.  Silly me, I was trying to sooth my emotions by telling myself that in ten months I will be returning.  Nothing was working.  The tears seemed to be like a faucet that was stuck on.


Let me just stop for a moment and show you where we lived for basically two months.  As you can see, it was an 8-by-8 room with two single beds pushed together, one dresser, and two night stands.  We shared a common room with two other couples.  We even had to share a small bathroom.  However, it was perfect in many ways.  It was all we needed and we were totally happy.  

As the jet flew over the Pacific Ocean, my emotions started to settled down and my thoughts turned toward my mainland home.  
The beautiful flowers; the spacious rooms; my own bed; the two full bathrooms; my own kitchen; my own car to drive whenever I wanted.  There was a small gurgle of excitement that started rising as we drew closer to the mainland.  Just for the record, our ten month home is not large by American standards, but it is more than adequate and we are blessed to be stewards of it for Kingdom use.  

The contrast of our two homes is vivid.  As I have pondered this transition back, it has not been easy.  In fact, in truth, it has been extremely difficult.  My heart enjoys both places.  Both places provide everything that I need and much, much more.  In both places, though I am acutely aware that neither is truly my home.  These are both special places that I get to enjoy in the present, but the reality is that at some point they will belong to someone else.   I will permanently be changing locations. May I never lose sight of my sojourner status. Truly, I am just a foreigner passing through on my way to be with my Creator.  

Until we Chat again,
The Plank-Eyed Girl



No comments:

Post a Comment