Sunday, May 4, 2014

Beans, Bacon, and Rent on a Dream



3:30 pm Crouching low on the grocery store floor, I position the camera and allow my finger to find the smooth, silver button. Picture 367. This is the first of three  photo sessions with this amazing "Plucky Little One". Some might think I am crazy to waste my time with this endeavor, but in this moment I am finding intense joy. Armed with her extra large calculator; stylish purse; mom's coupon notebook; and a bigger than Manhattan heart, she is celebrating her birthday.  

4:15pm Wanting to get the most for her birthday money she continues her quest.  She carefully ponders what kids her age might enjoy for treats against what they probably really need to eat, as well as, what they are often given by the food bank. She generously throws me tidbits of information explaining some of her decisions that are based on price and nutritional value, as well as her "personal preferences".  The "Plucky Little One" has an innate sense of what generous and kind look like and who her "neighbor" is.  For ten, in this moment, she seems seasoned beyond her years. She is determined.  She is focused.  She is also adamant - "No canned green beans!"  Love her plucky personality. What a treat to be able to watch her in action on this day. 

9:37 pm cocooned securely between my Egyptian cotton 800 thread count bottom sheet and a top sheet, which feels as comforting as my grandma's gentle, tonka-truck sized arms, I find my thoughts hijacked by what I have observed this afternoon. They are high-centered around her ability to give without restrictions.  She does not know who will receive this food.  All she knows is that her heart is yearning to do this. This was her "dream". She got this idea and did something about it.  She used what she had and what she would be given to make it happen.  She was willing to surrender her birthday to accomplish this.  WOW!  That is some pretty serious "rent on a dream" for a ten year old. 

Being a part of this has made me pause and take into account a few things.  Let's start with, I am a year over half a century old.  Hum...in the grand scheme, that means I am at least half way used up (and that is if I make it to 90). I have a couple of dreams that I have been lightly pursuing. Like an overly coddled sleepy cat, I selectively choose my engagement level each day; week; month.  I guess you could say that I have been making sporadic payments on them. Watching the intensity and sheer determination of the "Plucky Little One" has brought much clarification.  I awake at 2:40 am and continue with these precise prickly ah-ha's.   Time is short.  I will have to say "No" to many things in order to say "Yes" to the request from my Abba.  His request has become my dream.  Moment by moment I will have to choose.

"Plucky Little One,"  thank you for showing me how to fully surrender the rent for a dream that God has placed in front of me.  "Plucky Little One"  I see what you are becoming and I am so proud to know you!

Until we Chat Again,
The Plank-Eyed Girl








No comments:

Post a Comment