Friday, May 23, 2014

Crazy Hair Day!


With gentle rain sliding down my zebra umbrella, I perch on my concrete post to greet students this warm Friday morning. It is "Crazy Hair Day" and unfortunately I did not have a chance to dye my hair purple like I had planned.  So, I gingerly stand on this  ninety degree corner with my back to the street and my face towards the classrooms.  

Like a start gun going off at a horse racetrack,  the bell blares over the intercom signalling the start of this school day.  Suddenly, from behind I hear this screeching female voice excitedly proclaiming, "Oh my goodness!  YOUR hair is the best!  What made you think to put spots in your hair?"  There is a momentary pregnant pause as I realize that this parent thinks I did my hair this way on purpose just for "Crazy Hair Day." I choose NOT to turn around. She continues past me and is visibly gasping for air as she is having fits of laughter.  It is then that my eyes meet a couple of my favorite fourth grade girls.  They have watched this entire scene unfold.  Like a television sitcom playing out right in front of their very eyes.

Instantly,  the three of us burst out in uncontrollable giggles.  Finally, the purple future fashion diva proclaims, "She has no idea who you are.  She doesn't know that your hair is ALWAYS like that!"  As the three of us regain our breath and stroll into the school, I put my arms around both of them; turn them toward me and softly whisper, "This Spotted Zebra likes you both just the way you are."  

Wowzee! The power of words formed by the human tongue. They can build up or tear down. They can praise or they can discourage.  They can heal or they can destroy. May you choose to use your words to make this world and those you meet better.  May you also know and celebrate the unique "YOU" that God, in His infinite wisdom and creativity, thought up.  "YOU" are His workmanship and He takes great joy in the uniqueness of YOU!

Enjoy the Giggle,
Until we Chat Again,
The Plank-Eyed Girl


No comments:

Post a Comment