Friday, May 16, 2014

Secret World Domination


Seven Year Old + Cargo Shorts + Remote = World Domination 


Hands shoved deeply into his cargo shorts pockets; perching on the edge of the chair; silently smirking; with eyes that were dancing.  I couldn't help but notice this newbies unusual behavior.  Silently deciding just to observe and not pursue my intuition, I proceeded to read the story to this wiggly second grade class. 

Moments into the story, he simply could not contain himself.  Out of his belly he explodes, "I can control the world!"  Pausing the story, I turn my attention to him, as do all his classmates.  Sudden silence penetrates the air around us.  Wide-eyes fixated upon him. (Honestly, what seven year old doesn't want to control the world?)  Highly amused and, quite frankly stifling a giggle, I calmly ask him to explain. With hands still shoved deeply in his pockets he boldly states, "I have a secret!"  He is delighted to have everyone's attention.  

Rising carefully and picking my steps I make my way toward him.  A pregnant pause is hanging heavy in the air of this library.  In one swift move, he brandishes a brand new remote, the size of the state of Texas, from his deep cargo shorts pocket.  Hysterical laughter erupts. 

Returning to the front of the group, I slowly regain their attention.  Of course, I am amused.  Gingerly selecting my words, I ask, "Remote Boy, why do you have this new remote?"  Without any hesitation and with a grin the size of the sun, he shouts, "So I have all of the control!"  Fits of laughter are now swirling through the room.  "Remote Boy" is standing there with a puzzled look on his face. Gasping  for air, I ask, "Control over what?"  Meekly he whispers, "My family?"  

Driving home this afternoon, uncontrollable giggles well up from deep inside my heart.  I have to wonder how many times I have acted like this with God.  I walk around thinking I have a "Secret Remote" that I can control Him with.  He must just smile and maybe even giggle when I pull it out and try to use it.  What a Plank-Eyed Girl I am.  Takes a Seven Year Old Boy with cargo shorts and a gigantus remote for me to see the silliness of my desire to control.  

Enjoy the gift of this day.  Know that He has your life securely bathed in His love and sprinkled with His grace. You don't need any silly remote to pretend you are in charge.

Until We Chat Again,
The Plank-Eyed Girl

  

1 comment:

  1. Perfect analogy, as always! Thank you for using the gift God gave you to open my eyes Plank Eyed Girl!

    ReplyDelete